Oct 2, 2008

Tire Swing

For like a summer and a half I embraced this lifestyle that didn't elevate anything above anything else. Consider the following lyric from Juno which illustrates what I mean:

Joey never met a bike that he didn't wanna ride
And I never met a Toby that I didn't like
Scotty liked all of the books that I recommended
Even if he didn't I wouldn't be offended

The author of the song charms the listener by describing her day through a lens that doesn't apply an overall arch or expectation. She goes on to list the events of her day: check my email, write a song, and make a few phone calls mashing all of the events together without defining any of them more significance than the others.

The reason I like this song is that it frees me from the risk of embracing a personal narrative that may set me up for disappointment, or failure, or disillusionment. I'll probably sound like some kind of McCartheist but this type of song/sub-culture although light and appealing on the outside is also malicious to some extent.

A postmodern generation is bruised, wounded and disillusioned with modernity by definition. It reacts to the baby-boomers attachement to materialism and image-centered values in a new movement that avoids the common entrapments of a modern world and embraces a "flat" existential worldview. That is, we would say that writing a song is just a "spiritual" or sacred as writing e-mails.

The intent is well placed. Garden State, another prominent postmod hipster flick, features a hamster funeral that the protagonist comes of age to find value in. American Beauty, as early as '99, finds its message in realizing the beauty of a plastic bag in the wind.

These, I think, are symptoms of our aforementioned disillusionment; our sophmoric attitudes follow a distaste for the negative sides of our parent's lifestyles - their tendancy to be judgemental, hypocrytical, or exclusive. Without standard of truth, we are free from the problems that a very standard driven society has come to terms with in recent decades.

I'll just end by saying that I once agreed but now disagree with these contentions. To me, there are just some things that are black and white. And that's ok, our mind and soul need that. I think its pretty clear that if everything was true right and beautiful and nothing was wrong than we wouldn't have ground to be wounded and counter-culture in the first place. In other words, there is a significant arch to our lives whether we acknowledge it or not. If we are honest with ourselves we can't avoid this. Humans need purpose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I grow up, I want to be as bright and mature as you. I'm so proud of you. Much love!

kcwyyh said...

Humans are animal first and last. Animals from lion to leo live for simple things - survival, security and association. Maslow comes much later.

There is never a day I do not wake up and ask the following question:

(1) Am I and my love ones secure?
(2) Can I and my loves survive, for another minute/day/hour/week/year?
(3) How to make my family as a group happy?

DAD