May 18, 2009

Purpose

1. I'm not the kind of person that starts a blog post with so...
2. I'm also not the type of person to start a post with an apology for not blogging enough.

But today I'm not feeling like myself....sorry for not blogging and....

So I've been thinking about purpose. In history class we used to make these cards of people and events and the last thing would always be something called the "significance".

People, moments, words, they are not all equal in purpose. Sometimes there are very small things: a small piece of copper that was formed to a bullet is plucked from a mine. The rest is used for making ordinary pennies but that small piece of copper that was pulled out amongst the greater stock; maybe it was loaded; maybe it was fired; maybe it was lethal. And thus it has been injected with meaning.

Have you seen Slumdog Millionare? We like this movie because the boy's life is handed over to meaning. Each memory, Benjamin Franklin, Rama, the song, is recalled and injected with even more, ironic, meaning. Even the most painful memories of his life are injected with more meaning - they informed answers to the million dollar question.

Two things.

First, as a Christian, I think we should be on the hunt for meaning. To me, this is the key to unlocking God's loving purpose for the world. I think that seeking God's meaning for love, sex, marriage, rest, work, parenthood is a lofty but worthy goal.

Second, as a human, I believe we all have the authority to inject meaning in our lives. I'm not sure if there's any other greater purpose for us. That we make our choices wisely, consider what we have, what we don't have, consider how we can use our power for goodness. Are we opperating in a personal economy of scale? Are we wasting our time? Our money? And even better, how can we take something negative and inject positive meaning?

No comments: