Jan 29, 2009

at second glance

Oliver enjoys making great fun of me for liking the singer Bebo Norman. I can't blame him, it's well founded teasing, so I giggle at his prods and continue listening. Bebo released a song recently called "Britney" that even I wanted to make fun. The song is written for Britney Spears and girls of the like. Ironically, my first instinct was to scoff at a song about Britney Spears and write it off. Today I read this:

I was up late, couldn’t sleep, watching some news channel, when yet another story about Britney Spears came on. My first instinct was to scoff and write it off, but then there was this freeze-frame shot of a look on her face of utter and absolute despair and confusion and brokenness—a look that I recognized. And I remember thinking “This girl is a child of God.” Suddenly, I saw her story not as something to mock, but as a real-life tragedy that is desperate for redemption and hope—a story not so different from any of our stories. Take away all the lights and cameras, and it’s really just a narrative of a girl so clearly in need of love, so clearly in need of the redeeming love of our God.
And suddenly, all I wanted to do was just apologize, over and over. I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry...on behalf of this fallen world, on behalf of our consumerism that so consistently devours what it wants and leaves the remnants in the wake of the search for the next fix, on behalf of believers, like myself, who mock and hurl stones rather than scribbling a message in the sand.
I think that night I saw her through the eyes of Jesus for the first time. I imagined what Jesus would say to me in my darkest hour and realized that those are the words we should speak to this world, to this culture, and even to Britney Spears in their darkest hour. “I’m sorry. Hope is here.”

–Bebo Norman
Still a little silly. Still love him!

2 comments:

Jessica Mc said...

as soon as i read that line about bebo norman, i was going to say...have you heard that song he wrote about britney!?!?! and you beat me to it. ha. i think i feel the same way...seems a little silly to hear him sing britney...but its so true.

Unknown said...

i love him too and the crooked way he stands when he plays guitar...