Jun 11, 2009

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis.

I looked up the word courage today. Here are the two definitions I found.

courage: a quality of spirit that enables you to face danger or pain without showing fear.

courage: the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, risk, uncertainty, or intimidation.

To me the ability to confront fear is very different than facing danger or pain and showing no fear. And guess what I found out, I was right! Turns out courage has been broken down and studied in many forms. The three forms of courage are physical, moral, and social. So the simple differing of definitions I stumbled across are actually defining physical courage versus moral courage

Physical courage: is courage in the face of physical pain, hardship, or threat of death.

Moral courage: is the ability to act rightly in the face of popular opposition, shame, scandal, or discouragement.

I need courage. We all do. I am praying and seeking after the courage to love others. I'm being taught loving others doesn't mean much until you put it to action.

I hope.
I love.
I try.
I try again.
and again.
I hope.

No comments: