Jun 18, 2009

Why I Stopped Multi-Tasking



I learned how to multi-task as a barista at starbucks. Steam milk, prep syrups, draw shots, mark cups, pour drinks, refill stuff, erase drive through screen, call out drink, fill cups and so on...

I liked the way things went, I got faster and faster and the customers were happy.

But it didn't work this way at home. I got more and more stressed and got less and less done. A guy from my old church, Corey, suggested on one of his blogs that multi-tasking didn't work. I was doubtful.

He was right.

Speed reading is good but there are times I need to soak each word. Task-mastering is sometimes efficient but not effective at home when you're supposed to be resting.

So I've been drying my dishes, untying my shoes before I put them on, pouring juice before taking a swig, putting the sandwich on a plate and then eating it, holding my children, fully stopping at stop signs, only clicking once on internet links, reading my friend's longer blog posts ;), and even more thinking about more ways to slow it down after work.

No comments: