Sep 13, 2008

The Hook



Going from what I know about the 90's and Pandora, there is a realm of pop music that are derived and charged by generation y's need to sing fun and pointless lyrics together in a sway that resembles a late night drunken sailors chorus. The artifact above is my submitted proof.

Ants Marching - Dave Matthews
The General - Dispatch
Piano Man - Billy Joel (This may be a stretch but the 90's family embraced the retro version of it)
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Intro - Will Smith
Any Sublime Song
Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind.

and on and on and on

Pandora says that I like these songs because of my affinity for "major chord tonalities". I'm glad they've pinpointed it. But I'm noticing that kids these days don't sing these types of songs anymore - the ones that everyone knew the words to and would howl out when somebody brought their guitar. Hopefully there was some one there that remembered the verse order. The music trends these days are so splintered and diversified, I'm not sure these people are unified by anthems to the extent my peers were.

Why did we sing together? 90's children are you out there?

OW

3 comments:

Heather said...

oh how proud was i when i learned all of the words to "hook". such a great song...no idea what it's about.

Jessica Mc said...

i hear you brother.
i was at crossroads today, but i didnt see the wongs. maybe next time.

Anonymous said...

Hello - Steve here with Hydromissions. I'm just writing to encourage you to go where God has placed your heart - even if its a "risk" (maybe ESPECIALLY if its a risk). Thanks for the comments on our ministry - we will be praying for you tonight for clarity in your own situation as to where God wants you to pour your energy. Have a great day.