May 9, 2008

Dan Kimball

A Pastor named Dan Kimball spoke at Willow Creek last spring and shared his survey findings on what would make people more open to church:
  1. I wish church was not just a sermon or a lecture but a discussion.
  2. I wish the church would respect my intelligence (I JUMPED out of my YouTube seat on that one - seriously)
  3. I wish the church weren't about the church building.
  4. I wish the church were less programmed and allowed time to think and pray.
  5. I wish the church were a loving place.
  6. I wish the church cared for the poor and the environment.
  7. I wish the church taught more about Jesus ?!?
These observations resonate deeply with me - to the extent that my Christian experience has caused me to feel these things before I heard them. I try not to be a ranter so I won't but I think the take-away is valuable: Our peers don't want/(real/felt) need more commercializing, glam, charisma, or spectacle. They just want/need honest something - anything real.

P.S. Did I mention #2 get's me fired up?

No comments: