Jun 10, 2008

How to Kill a Lion

Mark Batterson uses an obscure passage from scripture to illustrate the possibility of finding purpose in our greatest challenges and fears.

While reading, I'm reminded how odd it is that we tame and control lions in the first place. As a child, my parents had to EXPLAIN to me that man would invent tools and weapons to confront beasts such as these and thereby enforce the rule of nature that an intuitive mind will always overcome brute strength and raw instinct.

Today, this book is helping me realize that if our fears and failures are our greatest "lions", then the only weapon we have/need is preparation, not strength.

I know this sounds askew at first. There is a man in the desert that confronts a lion. The lion can run at 30 miles/hr. and leap up to 30 feet. The man doesn't stand a chance. Reverse this confrontation to 6 months ago. Provided the man knew he would soon come to terms with a lion he might fashion a weapon (preferably a gun). Now the lion doesn't stand a chance.

Among other things, teaching has taught me to prepare for things. I've found it helpful lately to spend a good deal of time praying over the week/day/month. I've been visualizing who I will see and what I will do. This time has helped me plan with God - or perhaps allow God to plan for me - to make my actions and choices more prepared and reviewed than instinctual.

Lions will always win in terms of instinct and reaction. Pro-action is my only chance.

No comments: