Apr 5, 2008

Old Timey Film


Watched The Wizard of Oz twice today with Rose. To be honest, it made me a little sad that films today are so sophisticated. I loved watching the sets, costumes and cinematography.

Don't get me wrong, CGI and is appealing and no doubt cheaper but do we miss out when we insist on "realism" over imagination? Hook is the last movie I can remember with a really elaborate set and energy generated by cast instead of computer. By 2000 movies like Oz and Hook are reinvented by Moulen Rouge and Lord of the Rings.

I'll admit that these sentiments are deceptively nostalgic but I would love to see a film-maker design an epic without using CGI, flashy jump cuts and illusions. Let the camera pan out and the actors and design team remind us of an older drama.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss u

JB3 said...

I don't think LOTR qualifies as ammo for your argument. While they did use cgi to make a few characters and paint the backdrops, that was one of their shining qualities that everything was real. All the costumes and weapons and models that they used were amazing.
Sir, you need to stop spitting your anti-LOTR venom on the pure canvas of the internet. LOTR is a modern day miracle and you need to stop being rebellious.